Greatest

"In the beginning….'Let us make man in our own image…" (Gen. 1:1, 27)

Theologically, I have been told that the ability to communicate is one facet of what it means to be made in the image of God. As both a language teacher and a language learner, I agree whole-heartedly. The complexity yet naturalness of language are incredible. Statistically speaking, the sentence that you say right now has never been said before in the history of the world. As I teach, I realize how complex English is and am overwhelmed at how to teach the many different facets—but I am also amazed at how it all comes so natural to me, all the little connotations and insinuations that are conveyed linguistically and tonally. As a language learner, the more I learn Spanish, the more I realize how much I have to learn!!!!

This week, my schedule of English teaching was briefly interrupted by a conference at the seminary to which the seminary students and staff were invited to. Suspending my English lesson plans, I jumped into Spanish immersion mode (although some of it was translated because one of the speakers was American). Did you know that God speaks through Spanish as well??? He seemed to remind me of what I needed to hear during this conference, just another demonstration of his love and faithfulness.

I was reminded that there is a greater aspect of reflecting the image of God. We reflect the image of God by our ability to create, our ability to speak, our ability to work. However…..

"[Christ] is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation" (Col. 1:15).

"For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many" (Mark 10:45; see also Ph. 2, that amazing passage).

….we reflect the image of God in being a servant. I look to the cross—my God, the Almighty, All Powerful, All Glorified, died on the cross. He was beaten, mocked, rejected, humbled, so that I might know him and walk with him. Amazing grace, amazing love, my amazing King.

"For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers" (Rom. 8:29)

My job here is not primarily to teach English. It is to be conformed to the image of God, to become like Christ. That involves being a servant, dying to self, being crucified with Christ and no longer living, but Christ living in me and living by faith in the Son of God who gave himself for me (Gal. 2:20). My job here is to be his ambassador as through God were making his appeal through me (2 Cor. 5:20). My job is to be a servant, just as the Son of Man came to serve.

Becoming like Christ is not something "glorious" or "noble" in the world's eyes. It is a humble, daily walk. We often think in terms of greatness—"Give me a mission, God, and I will do it. Let me do something great for you. If you call me to do something great, I will do it." My job to be like Christ is lived out teaching English, learning Spanish, washing the dishes, helping out in the seminary kitchen now and again, having conversations with students, attending a student's birthday fiesta, talking in my limited Spanish to the wives on campus…..This is death, this is resurrected life, this is life by faith, this is Christ living in me. This is daily grace, sufficient for each need. Washing dishes, preparing for English lessons, studying the Spanish imperfect tense, is for his glory, and his alone.

Comments

Popular Posts