God, guidance, fog, and fear

I don't chew on pencils--rather, I fidget, pick at things. I have to confess it is anxiety and fear that is lurking beneath the fog. Weigh pros and cons, prayer and prayer and more prayer. What if.... What if I'm not hearing God? What if he is trying to tell me something and I just can't hear him? What if I make the wrong decision? What if it is my own voice? What if I miss something he says? What if there is some sin in my life I don't know about that is blocking his voice?

And I realize the fog of indecision is hiding things more insiduous: doubt in the character of God, lies from Satan, attempts at the evil one to give vague guilt and condemnation, and fear. Jumping on my moments of vulnerability, decisions become a foggy, dark battle ground where grasshoppers give off giant shadows.

In his book, Knowing God's Will, M. Blaine Smith names four fears we may face in moments of seeking God's guidance:
1) the fear that God may not give me the information I need to decide within his will;
2) the fear that I may not be able to understand God's will if he does convey it to me or that I might miss something;
3) the fear that a past decision made in faith may be out of God's will;
4) the fear that a sin may ultimately cause me to miss God's plan for my life.

Will God give me the information I need to decide within his will?

First of all, who is God? He is not a malicious joker who hides information from us and then laughs when we mess up. He is not an unjust judge looking for reasons to condemn us, hiding information from us so he can punish us.

Rather, he is our Father. A good father. "If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!" (Luke 11:13). Because we are in Christ, he delights in us (Eph. 1:6; Zeph. 3:17). He, believe it or not, wants us to succeed, wants to help us follow him. He will give us what is best for us. Including vegetables.

Note what Luke's version says he gives us--the Spirit. The Spirit reminds us, teaches us, forms in us the mind of Christ, renews our minds, opens our eyes and ears. This does not diminish our need to stay in step with the Spirit (Gal. 5:25; Eph. 5:18). Yet, the indwelling Spirit is the Father's gift in Christ to ensure we follow him.

He is even willing to give us the desire to hear him (Phil. 4:12-13; Ps. 51:10-12).  I have realized how much I need to ask for that--I am so sinful and fallen, still so much in the journey of sanctification, that I need help to want his will instead of mine.

Nor can we doubt that he has all the information to give us. He alone is wise and omniscient, knowing all. There is nothing hidden from him. He has all the information to give, but will give only what we need to know. He knows our unique circumstances, and knows how much too much information and too little information is. He knows what to withhold (and the why) for our own good. Although we may feel like we need more information! That is where faith comes in.

More than anything else, he has given us himself. Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life (John 14:6). He himself is the way. He doesn't give us a map, a pat on the back, and a good luck wish and sets us on our way. Sometimes, we confess we want the map--it lets us be in control. We confess we want the guidance rather than the guide. The foggy moments of indecision can be moments of praise--praising the all-knowing, all-giving God who is with us. We can seek him, showing him to be the most valuable and needed thing in our indecision/decisions, rather than worshipping the guidance. He has given us himself. Himself. The light that may not dispel all the fog, but is greater than the fog. We walk in daily dependence with him, closely. We have a guide, not guidance. We have a person, not a map. We have HIMSELF.

"Although the Lord gives you the bread of adversity and the water of affliction, your teachers will be hidden no more; with your own eyes you will see them. Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, 'This is the way; walk in it.' Then you will defile your idols overlaid with silver and your images covered with gold; you will throw them away like a menstrual cloth and say to them, 'Away with you!'" (Isaiah 30:20-22).

Comments

  1. Love to read what you write whether it's on Tuesday or Thursday! How well I know that OUR plans get interrupted and sometimes, God does that interrupting and for His good reasons. You may have planned for Tuesday, but God thought Thursday was just fine. Just this morning in my devotional book JESUS CALLING I was reminded that He will show us what to do NOW and what to do NEXT! Hopefully though, I can remember to LOOK on Tuesday or Wednesday now that I know that is your plan! Praying for you as you serve HIM!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts