Dealt

"Turn,  my spirit, to your complete rest, because Yhwh--he has dealt with you" (Ps. 116:7, translation from John Goldingay [1]).

"Return, O my soul, to your rest; for the LORD has dealt bountifully with you" (Ps. 116:7, ESV).

Dealt--Hebrew gamal 'al. John Goldingay comments on the verb that in and of itself the word "is just an appeal to Yhwh to exercise sovereignty. It is the context that implies Yhwh doing good to us... The verb thus hints at a trust that simply asks Yhwh to exercise sovereignty and knows it will be beneficient..." (2).

Dealt--I have been told I have been dealt a rough hand with health. And this past week, I was dealt a break-in to my car, rendering it inoperable. But, I have friends who have been dealt cancer; I sent out a worldly hopeless update on a cancer-fighter earlier today. I have friends in Honduras who struggle to put food on the table. I know young Honduran girls who have been dealt lives that sent them to the streets in prostitution, abuse, gangs, etc.

Dealt--I have been dealt breath and life. I have been dealt friends that support me and love me. I have been dealt an unmerited grace that opened the eyes of my heart and drew me to my Father in Christ Jesus.

Dealt--I have been dealt a relationship with God that tells me that he will work all things out for my eternal good, that tells me that these light and momentary troubles are preparing me for something far better (Romans 8:28; 2 Cor. 4:17-18).

Dealt--I have been dealt a relationship with a Triune God who lives in me and who wants to be with me (!!!) and who has given me himself. Himself. And I will be with him forever, and he is with me now.

Whatever passes--car break ins or health break downs--he is good. Sometimes, I want an affirmation of that, and he always points me back to the cross, "I have shown you my love, my dear. What more can you ask for?"

If he has given us himself, how will he not graciously, along with him, give us all things? But Jesus is the first and last and ultimate gift, and I am learning to treasure him above all. High or low, storm or calm, he has dealt well with me.


NOTES
(1)John Goldingay, Psalms, Vol. 3, Psalms 90-150. (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2008): 342.
(2) Ibid., 388.

Comments

Popular Posts