Storms

Chaos, cancer, Child Protective Services, calls to doctors... O Lord, the storm and the waters threaten to undo us! We know you can rebuke the storms and the seas and still them in a second. The clouds are at your bidding... Then, why, Lord, does the storm continue to rage?

But on a hill, on a cross, the darkness came and the wrath of thunder broke out against all sin, pain, and death. And the One who rebukes the storm weathered the storm. Took the storm. 

Thus, now, you, O Lord, ride on the clouds of my storm to deliver me. You are in my storm.

"He makes the clouds his chariot; he rides on the wings of the wind" (Ps. 104:3).

"In my distress I called upon the LORD; to my God I cried for help. From his temple he heard my voice, and my cry to him reached his ears..... He bowed the heavens and came down.... he came swiftly on the wings of the wind... Out of the brightness before him, hailstones and coals of fire broke through his clouds. The LORD also thundered in the heavens, and the Most High uttered his voice, hailstones and coals of fire. And he sent out his arrows, and scattered them; he flashed forth lightnings and routed them....
He set from on high, he took me; he drew me out of many waters....
Great salvation he brings to his king, and shows steadfast love to his anointed, to David and his offspring forever" (Ps. 18).  

The theophany, the earth shakes, not in judgment, but in earth shattering grace on my behalf. The storms are his chariots, his means of deliverance, his glory. Not clouds of chaos--they are chariots of Christ the King.

Comments

Popular Posts