Psalm 125 - Surrounded



Psalm 125 reminds us that when wickedness surrounds us--sickness, AIDS, political instability, human slavery, and wickedness seems to reign…. The Covenant God still reigns. I am surrounded. I am secure. I am wrapped in his promises and his reality. His promises are more true—I will not be tempted to trust in chariots and horses, to stretch my hands to do evil and join the wicked, but I will trust in the name of our Covenant God. For he surrounds me, every moment. His promises are more true than the air I breathe.

Those who trust in YAHWEH, the covenant God, are like Mount Zion, which cannot be moved, but abides forever.
And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband…. (Rev. 21)

As the mountains surround Jerusalem, so the Covenant God surrounds his people from this time forth and forevermore….
For all authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me….. And I am with you always, to the end of the age…. And nothing can separate you from the love that is in Christ Jesus… (Mat. 28; Rom. 8:35)

For the scepter of wickedness shall not rest on the land allotted to the righteous….
Then I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse! The one sitting on it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he judges and makes war. His eyes are like a flame of fire, and on his head are many diadems… He is clothed in a robe dipped in blood…. (Rev. 19)

…lest the righteous stretch out their hands to do wrong.
For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age…. Who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works… (Titus 2:11-12, 14)…. I [have] put my laws into their minds and [written] them on their hearts…. (Heb. 8:10).

Do good, O Covenant God, to those who are good, and to those who are upright in their hearts!
What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? (Rom. 8:31-32).

But those who turn aside to their crooked ways the Covenant God will lead away with the evildoers.
…leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, ‘Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord…. (Rom. 12:19)…..the dead were judged by what was written in the books, according to what they had one…. Then Death and Hades were thrown into the Lake of Fire…. (Rev. 20).

Peace be upon Israel!
For he himself is our peace (Eph. 2:14)…. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you (Jn. 14:27).

 His promises are more true--because they are sealed in Christ. We trust and believe because we see it in Christ. We are surrounded by a sure love, sure promises, a sure future, a sure victory.

For all the promises of God find their yes in Christ! That is why it is through him that we utter our Amen to God for his glory. And it is God who establishes us with you in Christ, and has anointed us, and who has also put his seal on us and given us his Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee (1 Cor. 1:20-22).


Comments

Popular Posts