Far Better, Far Greater



He had far better things for Abraham, so he asked him to offer his son.


He said, “Do not lay your hand on the boy or do anything to him, for now I know that you fear God…. So Abraham called the name of that place, “The Lord will provide”…. “By myself I have sworn, declares the Lord, because you have done this and have not withheld your son, your only son, 17 I will surely bless you…. Genesis 22:12, 14, 16, 17

He loved Samson too much to leave him the prideful arrogant man, so he stripped him of his hair, his strength, gouged his eyes out, let him be a clown.
Then Samson called to the Lord and said, “O Lord God, please remember me and please strengthen me only this once, O God. Judges 16:28

He loved David so much, he drove him out into the wilderness for years.
My soul thirst for God… Psalm 42:1


you give them drink from the river of your delights.

For with you is the fountain of life;
    in your light do we see light.
Psalm 36:7-8
 
He loved the widow of Zarephath too much to save her from the heartbreak of having her only son, her gift from God, die.
And the woman said to Elijah, “Now I know that you are a man of God, and that the word of the Lord in your mouth is truth.” 1 Kings 17:24

He loved the disciples so much, he sent them out in the boat into the storm, allowed them to suffer for his name’s sake.
rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer dishonor for the name. Acts 5:41
You will be sorrowful, but your sorrow will turn into joy. John 16:21

He loved Mary and Martha too much to keep their brother from dying.
Now Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus…. Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. John 11:5, 25

He had far greater tasks and visions for Stephen, so he made him the first martyr.
But he, full of the Holy Spirit, gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. And he said, “Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God.” Acts 7:55-56

He loved Paul so much that he gave him a thorn in the flesh.
But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you.” 2 Corinthians 12:9

He loved the world so much that he gave his only Son, his life. He walked for us and with us in suffering.
Although he was a son, he learned obedience through what he suffered. And being made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation to all who obey him… Hebrews 5:8-9

And would we have known him but for…. ?
Surely, our passions, desires, dreams, wishes, prayers are far, far too small. 
He loves!!!! He loves! This, even this--the ravages of sin in creation that brings disease, decay; the attacks of the evil one who afflicts; whatever--is taken and used by our God, permitted as an act of his far greater love, his desire for us that is far better than our little dreams. He created me; he knows the desires of my heart. He knows how to best fulfill those. While this may seem far, far from the desires of my heart, the Almighty, All-Wise, All-Conquering, Victorious Steadfastly-Loving, Covenant God is working for my fullness of joy. For me! He! Joy! What can I do but trust? When we've been there ten thousand years, bright shining as the sun! Expand my vision, expand my heart! 

Comments

Popular Posts