Alone


Do your best to come to me quickly, for Demas, because he loved this world, has deserted me and has gone to Thessalonica. Crescens has gone to Galatia, and Titus to Dalmatia. Only Luke is with me. . . .  I sent Tychicus to Ephesus. . . .  Alexander the metalworker did me a great deal of harm. The Lord will repay him for what he has done. You too should be on your guard against him, because he strongly opposed our message. At my first defense, no one came to my support, but everyone deserted me. . . .
2 Timothy 4:9-16, NIV

Paul, where are your friends?
Paul, how are you feeling now?

And Paul’s hand reaches out and takes ours, clanking in chains as he does. He grasps our hand--for have we not all been in a place like Paul’s? Attack after attack, unexpected loss, helpless in a different prison, betrayal, abandonment, that rising choking of loneliness.

What are your questions?
Where . . . .
Who . . . .
How long . . . .
Why . . . .

. . . . But the Lord stood at my side and gave me strength
2 Timothy 4:17a

Paul, what was it like to have Jesus standing at your side? Why write “stand” instead of feel, sense? Why “Jesus” instead of the Spirit? How can you describe the effects in such physical terms?

And Paul’s other hand reaches out, not to take our hand, but to point. Points to Jesus next to you. His voice, a bit parched as he waits for the prison water, “I am not the lone supersaint. You, too, are seated with the Lord Jesus. Immanuel--God with us--for you too. The Lord’s presence brings who he is: Strength, Peace, Love, Power, Beloved Child. Oh, my friend, my fellow disciple, the Lord Jesus wanted to be with me in that court room when all against me. He wants to be with me in this prison. This is his heart, that I love. My Lord who went to the cross, and as I finish this rough race, who still wants to be with me.”

And as you hold Paul’s hands in the printed page that has been passed down--when have you felt the Lord in this way?

Comments

  1. Tychicus is the only one who did as Paul desired. He was no longer with Paul but doing his bidding. Only Demas deserted Paul. Crescens to Galatia and Titus to Dalmatia is not as clear. Maybe, they were following the leading of the Spirit or Paul did not say he sent them. Paul sent Titus a letter previously or after this. i am not certain which. Whatever the whole story, Paul was feeling the burden. He was not alone. Luke was with him. But, evidently, he felt what they had been accomplishing was no longer possible. Paul took his burden to the Lord Jesus and the Lord Jesus strengthened him. This is all he could do and the Lord answered his cry for help in a very real way to Paul. I have not suffered as Paul. I have never had the responsibility of Paul. But, to the extent i have carried a buried i was willing to share with the Lord Jesus, the Lord Jesus has lifted my burden and carried me. God is my burden bearer, always. I just need to remember to turn to Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, thank you. You post a deep truth: we need to remember to turn to him. Thank you for that.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts