Church

Today I went to a little church, Roca de los Siglos (Rock of Ages). This is the church I call home—we sometimes have a keyboard that accompanies our off-tune singing before we disperse to our respective groups. In many ways, it is different than church back home, but it is CHURCH.

Last night, I was talking with Meldin, a student here at the seminary. He has a desire to be a missionary to the United States, so I asked him, "Why the United States?" His answer was thought-provoking (my summary and translation): because the church in the United States is losing its vision and passion. He cited examples of where churches allow pastors living in blatant sin to continue to lead the church, the decay of society, and how the church is being lured by materialism. All too true.

Is this the same church that "Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless" (Eph. 5:25-27)?

Reading through the Old and New Testament, I see God's zeal for his people and his church.

"The word of the Lord… 'I remember the devotion of your youth, how as a bride you loved me and followed me through the desert…Israel was holy to the LORD….What fault did your fathers find in me, [the LORD], that they strayed so far from me?....My people have committed two sins: They have forsaken me, the spring of living water, and have dug their own cisterns, broken cisterns that cannot hold water" (Jer. 2:1-3,5,13).

Can you not hear the heart of God, grieving???

This is his church, his loved one, the one he purchased, the one he gave all for….This is his representative on earth, his image bearer, his light to the nations….Can you not hear God's heart?

But God will always have a remnant, and he can keep it.

"On this rock I will build my church and the gates of Hades will not overcome it" (Mt. 16:18).

"If the Lord delights in a man's way, he makes his steps firm. Though he stumble, he will not fall, for the Lord upholds him with his hand" (Ps. 37:23).

The Lord can keep the church upright and pure. Above and beyond me how, but he sees it and he knows it.

"Now to him who is able to keep you from falling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy, to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power, and authority through Jesus Christ our Lord before all ages, both now and forevermore" (Jude 24).

I don't think it is a coincidence that I unconsciously began humming the song, "Shout to the North and the South." It is a fitting prayer, a fitting praise to our King who hears:

Men of faith rise up and sing
Of the great and glorious King.
You are strong when you feel weak,
In your brokenness complete.

Shout to the North and the South!
Sing to the East and the West!
Jesus is Savior to all,
Lord of heaven and earth!

Rise up women of the truth,
Stand and sing to broken hearts
Who can know the healing power
Of our awesome King of love.

We've been through fire, We've been through rain,
We've been refined by the power of His Name.
We've fallen deeper in love with you,
You've burned the truth on our lips.

Rise up church with broken wings,
Fill this place with songs again
Of our God who reigns on high
By His grace again we'll fly.

Comments

Popular Posts