Plans

The weekend of Oct. 9th, I went to San Lorenzo (very southern Honduras, right on the Pacific Ocean) with Melissa, a seminary student and an English student of mine. During this time, God opened the door (and gave me and my parents peace) about staying with her family. In short, I will be in San Lorenzo, Honduras from Nov. 30th – February 8th. I will be helping to build up her church and in a complete Spanish immersion experience. I am excited about this opportunity as I would like to improve my Spanish, which is coming along rapidly. But it would be a great opportunity to know the culture more intimately.

How does this fit in the big picture? I continue to have 3 passions:

1)
Women and teen girls at risk, victims of trafficking, abuse, domestic violence, rape, etc. and related issues. As a more relational, one on one type of person, I am more interested in the healing/rehabilitation side, but envision a holistic program…..these women and children need holistic help from the church.


2) Missions to unreached countries. As a single, American woman, it would be difficult for me to go—not impossible, because all things are possible with God, who is God over all governments and all things. However, the Honduran church is uniquely positioned to go to places where we cannot.

3)
Discipleship, living life together, helping the church be the church the living representative of God, which goes along with the healing side of #1, and equipping others to go to the unreached world, and eventually perhaps, if God calls me to another country, in yet another foreign world.


How those will all play out, I don't know. In light of the above, if I had to say right now what I would want to do, it would be to invest in a community and to help disciple and capacitate a church to do women's ministry and serve as missionaries. God can change that, and change what it looks like. My plans are in His hands.

That is a broad vision, so what are some small steps?
My first step is to return to Honduras on November 30th until February 8th to spend time with Melissa's family in San Lorenzo. My goals for the trip are the following:


1)
Continue to improve my Spanish. I expect by mid-February to be fluent.


2) To know her church and her family and the area better, to see if this is an area where I might be able to serve long term

3) To lay a foundation of prayer and search for direction

4)
To serve in that church with the youth group and in other areas where I can during 2 ½ months


5) Continue to invest in Melissa—she has an interest in missions and is a good friend. : )

6) I may also visit another friend and missionary a trafficking expert in Honduras and who works with rape victims and a lot of other women at risk, for some time (a week or more).

I would also begin to apply for residency, as until I have the residency, I have to leave the country every 3 months.

For financial information, please see: http://graebird-support.blogspot.com/


A little more background about the south of Honduras, as I am continuing to pray.

"I know, O LORD, that a man's life is not his own; it is not for man to direct his steps" (Jer. 10:23).

"The LORD will fulfill his purpose for me; your love, O LORD, endures forever—do not abandon the work of your hands" (Ps. 138:8).

Jesus said, "The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor" (Luke 4:18-19).

Comments

Popular Posts