First things....first

If an older Honduran lady tells you that when you peel green bananas, you need to be careful not to use your fingernails because it will hurt later, believe her....After spending an hour or so helping a woman from our church peel green bananas to fry for a church potluck, my fingers hurt. I'm learning a lot, learning to sit back and observe. It is difficult sometimes, as I want to be the typical American and help and do, do, do....but one has to sit back and learn first, to build relationships. What a beautiful and long thing relationships are.

Needless to say, I have been busy. Every Tuesday there is a prayer service at church. Wednesday we went to a special event where my friend Melissa sang (she has a beautiful voice). Thursday we went out visiting--I passed on of the tests that Melissa put to me and survived the heat on a bicylce. Luckily, we visited a member of the church in the hospital by car first, so the sun was farther down than in the heat of the day.

Every Friday is another church service--the theme of the services on Fridays is family right now. Saturday is youth group--because Melissa was sick and lost her voice I had the privilege of sharing a brief Bible reflection. Also on Saturday, the youth group went house to house doing fundraising for a Honduran organization that helps the handicapped...It was very interesting to see the different villages, the different houess, the different people, their methods of fundraising..... And today, Sunday, was a church-wide potluck, for both breakfast and lunch. Breakfast was fried plantains and balleadas (tortillas with refried beans and queso) and coffee. Lunch was fried chicken, fried green bananas, chismol (a mix of onions and tomatoes), refried beans, rice, and lots nad lots of tortillas.

All in all, if I can summarize how I feel right now, I'd say HOT. Seriously, privileged. I am privileged to share in thier lives, in their food, in their events....I am privileged to serve God here. The family I am with is a living reminder of that...they truly feel privileged to serve God and put him first. First things first: God and building relationships....

Comments

Popular Posts