How quickly...

How quickly time goes! Here I am, less than a week away from leaving! I fly out on the 8th of February, only to return to Honduras on the 14th of February--less than a week. But I need to leave to renew my visa. How quickly time goes! 

Here, time is measured differently... I have learned some of that, although the American in me still itches at visits which is just for visiting, and don't have a "purpose"; at the lack of details (when does it start? When do we leave? When will we go? How long does it last??? to which there are no answers); etc. But I'm learning. 

I am also learning about the vast importance of time. The people here seem to have a much greater focus on the shortness and value of life, and on the need to evangelize. Perhaps it is just this church; perhaps it is something about seeing the difficulties and hardships to survive; of living in an incredibly violent country, where the highest death rate is among the 20 to 30 year old's because of violence; perhaps it is because every single person I talk to has the majority of his or her family unsaved... I don't know. But they help me constantly re-orient myself to what is important. 

Time is short. Jesus is coming. But he has patience right now, and is delaying because his heart wants to see people come to Him. 
I have been to the hospital to pray with people, despite having to bike in the heat and the uncomfortability of asking people in another language and culture, "Can I pray for you? Do you know Christ?" But there is such joy and peace in doing that. 
I have visited and witnessed to Mormons (tomorrow we are doing another visit to two Mormon families, and then on Saturday to another unbelieving family). 
We went to the market to buy tortillas, and talk about Christ. 
We go to the doctor and wait for hours (and we think that the waiting time for doctors in the US is long...) and share the gospel. (Someone came to Christ today in the waiting room!) 
We buy clothes and talk about Christ and leave tracts. 
He is our life and on our tongue.

I'm challenged to pray what Paul prayed: 


"Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should." (Ephesians 6:19-20) 

"And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should." (Colossians 4:3-4) 

We are agents of Christ, his co-laborers for his purposes, living so that others may see Him, living as the salt and light of the world. For the time is dark, and short. (1 Pedro 3:1-2; 1 Pedro 3:16, 2:2; Mt. 5:16; Marcos 9:50).

So please pray for me--for opportunities, for the words in a different language, for the Holy Spirit to work through me, for boldness and clarity.

Comments

Popular Posts