Life

"Abundant life means no limits to love, no limits to justice, no limits to peace" (Hall, 1985).

"Anything that is for life, that enhances life, or that celebrates life is pointing toward the kingdom" (Myers, p. 114).

"I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full" (John 10:10).

The Lord says, "I have set before you life and death, and too often you choose death thinking it is life. But he who loves his life will lose it. Therefore, do not guard your life, but spend your talents with urgency. Do not bury them in the ground and sit on them in comfort. Invest them in things of eternal value. The kingdom is near, and I am coming with all my glory soon, but you do not know the day or the hour. So keep watch, and work for the kingdom. For the harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Spend all your talents, for I am the one who works life out of death, who makes things grow."

Thomas Merton wrote that a tree glorifies God most by simply being a tree. When we are using our gifts, our skills, our talents, then God is glorified.


I'm also reminded of a book I read, The Alchemist by Paul something--it is a Latin American book. Not Christian by any means, very universalistic. But I did like it. One of the statements in the preface was that we can be afraid to dream because we are afraid that it won't be what we want it to be when we finally get it. Or we are afraid that we will fail or that we aren't good enough. This has been a lie of Satan that I have struggled with for years...and continue to struggle with. I have to cling to faith that yes, I am weak, but it is through our weaknesses that God shows up. I'm in that place now too.....I'm here in Honduras which is a step toward pursuing a dream, but daily I battle, "Can I do it? Can I persevere? Am I really good enough? Can I really do it?" I'm afraid of failing. I'm afraid that I will hurt someone. I'm afraid, deep down, of failing God. Those are words I am even afraid of putting into writing. But can I really fail God?

 
 

"My Lord God –

I have no idea where I am going. (though I like to think I know)

I cannot see the road ahead of me.

I cannot know for certain where it will end.

Nor do I really know myself, and the fact

that I think that I am following your will

does not mean that I am actually doing so.

But I believe that the desire to please you

does in fact please you.

And I hope I have that desire in all that

I am doing.

I hope that I will never do anything apart

from that desire.

And I know that if I do this, you will lead

me by the right road, though I may know

nothing about it.

Therefore, I will trust you always,

though I may seem to be lost and in the

shadow of death.

I will not fear, for you are ever with me

and you will never leave me to face my

perils alone."

                              Thomas Merton

                                  Thoughts in Solitude


 

Comments

Popular Posts