Hymn

"He appeared in a body,
was vindicated by the Spirit,
was seen by angels,
was preached among the nations,
was believed on in the world,
was taken up in glory"
(1 Tim. 3:16).

As I was reading this passage, I was trying to place myself in the context of the first century church in Ephesus, surrounded by the Imperial Cult, legends of Zeus and Artemis, persecution from without, and fighting heresy from within.... With all of Paul's encouragement and military metaphors, they probably felt beleagured. Paul lifts their eyes, soars to the heavens and back to the earth. The future hope is now but not yet; heaven rains into earth and the rainbow of Christ's glory arches back up to him.

He appeared in a body--Like Philippians 2:6-11, it speaks of the humilty of the man Jesus, his humility and obedience unto death. Like Hebrews 2:17-18 and Hebrews 4:15-16, it reminds Timothy and the Ephesians of Jesus' being tempted as we are and sharing in our sufferings, and helping us as we suffer and are tempted.

Vindicated by the Spirit--But this was not all; he was raised to life. His vindication speaks of the sure and certain hope--and Timothy's future vindication and hope.

Seen by angels--Once again in the heavenly realms, Paul speaks of angels contemplating Jesus. This is a little more unclear, but it speaks of the power and wonder of the gospel, and the role of the church in this mystery. Perhaps there are allusions to Ephesians 3:10, "His intent was that now, through the church, the manifold wisdom of God should be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly realms" and 1 Peter 1:12, "Even angels long to look into these things [the sufferings of Christ and the glories that would follow]."

Preached among the nations--Here again on the earth, like the angels, the nations are witnessing the glory of Jesus. It reminds the church they are not alone, but also of their role in the completion of the Old Testament prophecies. Paul so clearly saw the eschatological implications of his mission to the Gentiles--it was the fulfillment of the law and the prophets. He reminds Timothy and the Ephesians of the grand story they are a part of, and the incredible role that they are given to carry out.

Believed in the world--And their preaching and efforts are not in vain. The gospel is bearing fruit all over the world. People are coming to faith. They are not alone, but are joined in Christ with believers all over the world. Furthermore, Paul emphasizes (a theme in 1 Timothy) that Jesus is the only one worthy to be believed in. He is Truth.

Taken up in glory--Once again, Paul lifts his eyes to the heavens--Christ is exalted, glorified. This is the certainty of thier hope. This is what awaits them. Christ is glorified, glorified, glorified--and all else dims in light of that. Each line, one step farther up the ladder, to the glory of Christ--glory, glory, glory more and more to Jesus, the God-man, our mediator.

The rich truths of this still speak today, pouring out refreshment. It refreshens me to stay the course and live a godly life. As I sit here,
Appeared in a body--Jesus was like me. He knows me, he helps me. My hope is based on the historical, objective facts that he walked on this earth, whose dry dust must have drank greedily of hope from his every step.

Vindicated by the Spirit--My hope is sure. Rock solid while the oceans seem to roar around me. Christ is vindicated! Praise him! The Spirit of the Risen Christ is living water welling up in me, helping me follow him.

Seen by the angels--He has authority over the powers, good and evil. He will win; he has triumphed (Col. 2:15; Heb. 2:15; 1 John 3:8). Stand firm! In him, I can resist the devil and he will flee from me (Jas. 4:7).

Proclaimed among the nations--He is King of all the earth and the crazy current events will not sweep his plan away. I am his ambassador of life in this world, to go to all nations. He is on my lips, for he was God-man, my Savior, and his praise pours forth.

Believed by men--His grand church, washed by his word (Eph. 5), of which I am a part. My heart exults with the angels when another professes his name; it is my passion to see him believed and praised by men.

Recieved in glory--He alone is worthy of my praise. In the paradoxical rainbow of light from rain, it is the result of his humiliation; and I fix my eyes on him during my trails. For my hope and my destiny--no matter what today brings--is with him.

No wonder the passage sings like a hymn.

Comments

Popular Posts