Light of Joy

 The half, pale moon just stares back. The sun is gone, and a pale, refracted sliver is all that remains, hanging in the dark. Discouraged, uncertain, confused... I feel just as wan as the moon. But, I remind myself, the moon is there, hanging, sustained by hands larger than itself. The moon is pale, but it reflects a far greater light, the joyous sun. The mere reflection of the sun on the moon reminds me that there is a sun. I reflect back on my morning's reading. They are the same sun and moon that hung over Nehemiah as I've joined him in his night canvassing, his daily labors... It is the same sun and moon that hung over them as they read from the book of the Law and began weeping and shouting for joy. And Nehemiah and Ezra reminded the people that it was the joy of the Lord that was their strength.

The commentaries I have read and most references I hear to this verse interpret it as our joy in the Lord. Yet, G. C. I. Wong says that the Hebrew grammar could point to it being the Lord's own joy. This makes far greater sense. Our own joy doesn't give us ma'owz (which is often translated "strength" but can also be shelter, refuge, protection, stronghold, harbor). How can our frail emotions protect us? No, it is the Lord's joy, his delight, in his people, that gives us ma'owz ,strength, protection against the chills of night, darkness, discouragement, the uncertainties and changes of life. He delighted in the people of Israel, the frail, failing, newly-returned-from-exile, ridiculed and weak, still-sinful people who were once again listening to the Law and seeking to do his will. He delights in us. In me. This is my protection, my stronghold, my shelter. And this is a reason for my joy. But it springs only from his own joy first.

The truth only shines brighter in Christ, the God-who-is-for us (Rom. 8:31-32). He had joy, joy set before him to bring us to himself (Heb. 12:3). How will he not graciously give us all things? His joy is me, his people, us as we are in Christ, as frail as we are. His delight in me means I can trust, even when the sun's rays are only appear as a pale wan moon.

Comments

  1. He is the Source of our joy--So True! I have always leaned on this Truth: We love because He first loved us (1 John 4:14). Yet how amazing it is that we have strength because of His JOY!!

    I also have found great reminders of God being our source as I ponder by the light of the moon... Even when it is a tiny sliver, it reflects such light--How great is our God! Incidentally, my name (Cynthia) is derived from the meaning, "Reflector of light." I do not often see myself living up to my name, but when I consider that I may be a small sliver, God's light can still bounce off of me.

    Thanks, as always, for your postings, Gillian. Keep trusting & knowing His Joy!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts