Minister

“Jesus withdrew with his disciples to the sea, and a great crowd followed. . . . When the great crowd heard all that he was doing, they came to him. And he told his disciples to have a boat ready for him because of the crowd, lest they crush him, for he had healed many. . . .” (Mark 3:7-10a, ESV).

The crowds wanted healing, they did not want Jesus himself. For as Mark will paint in his gospel, the crowds will leave. The season of popularity will turn to the season of persecution and death.

Did anyone see how tired the human Son of God was? Did any care to let him rest? To feed him? Refresh him? Did anyone serve Jesus, or did they just trample the High King in demand for their own needs? Oh, oh, Jesus, let me love you first, serve you first. Like Mary, let me sit at your feet. Save me from a Martha’s temptation that, instead of sitting at your feet, commands you what to do to serve my own agenda!!! “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me.” (Luke 11:40).

Let me be like Mary who anointed your feet, the feet that had walked miles in love and to serve, the feet that would be nailed to the cross, the feet that still bear the nail marks (John 12:1-8). Jesus, you are all sufficient. There is nothing I can give that you need, nothing I can give that you have not given me. But just as you, the Godhead in Trinity, self-give to one another in complete joy, let me join your dance in my little acts of service and worship to you. Let me give you all you have given me. Father, my heart burns--let me serve you in love, in the little and the big.

“So whether we are at home or away, we make it our aim to please him” (2 Corinthians 5:9). 

Comments

Popular Posts