Death Life - Life Death

Headlines from this past week:
“Honduras: dozens of wounded during new protests of the teachers.” 
“Police rescue a youth who was 11 days with his captors.”
“Sub secretary Reynosa [of the US]: “The situation [in Honduras] is critical”….and it continues: “She expressed worry for the high levels of impunity and violations of human rights in Honduras” 

Unfortunately, they were not unusual. I think each day had headlines about some kind of gruesome and unusual murder, at least three different kidnappings, etc.

The fact is, we—human beings—can be “death-making machines.”

Or, we can choose life.

There is no neutral ground.

While it is blatantly clear in Honduras, with the highest domestic violence rate in Central America, with San Pedro Sula being one of top most dangerous cities in the entire world, with the on-going teacher strikes that include tear gas and murders, with drug trafficking, with notoriously violent gangs, with a high level of government corruption…..What strikes me is that the life-death thing is a thing of daily decisions.
Am I choosing life or death right now? Spiritually and physically and “justice-ially”? Do I live in a way that actively promotes love, the well-being of others, or that puts me first, that lives from the old nature, that promotes death?

When I buy stuff from the grocery store, do I support life or death? That can get into the whole can of worms of global economy, fair trade, etc. But it is real. And I am part of it every time I shop. (Granted, less so here in Honduras where I usually buy from the market, from the individuals who actually grow the veggies, etc. But its real).

“And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off? I tell you, he will see that they get justice, and quickly. However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?” Lucas 18:7-8

What is death really?

What is life really?

Do I really believe Jesus when he says, “Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it” (Mt. 10:39)?  

Death… separation. Separation from God. Separation from self. Separation from others. Broken relationships. If I am not actively working to restore people to God, restore people to each other, restore people to themselves, I am an agent of death. I am convinced of this. There is no neutral ground. We are not called to sit. We are not called to support the status quo.

But that call requires death on my part. Death to self. So that I can be reconciled to God, reconciled to others…. And, in that manner, when I lose myself, I will find myself with a heart united in one purpose, for God.

In short, life. In God. With others.

I am frustrated right now at the distance, that I am writing this to a computer, at the lack of words…. What profound horror there is in death! How lightly we talk about it, how lightly we talk about the news, the injustices, the need for evangelization. How lightly I go about my day, arranging my schedule, making my decisions, chatting with people, grocery shopping…

But what profound hope there is! What profound joy there is!

“Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have LONGED to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were not willing.” Mt. 23:6

“And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us,  fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God” (Heb. 12:2-3).

“I am the way, the life, and the truth….” (John 14:6)

Comments

Popular Posts