Evangelism

It is getting close to the end of the semester, which means crunch time with papers. I have immersed myself in the themes of "What distinguishes a Latin American evangelical theologically" and "The Social Context of Honduras and its Implications for Evangelism." In Spanish. Thank goodness to God, I have not had too many headaches. : )

But that has made me think about evangelization and the differences between the US and here. One of the chief differences is that generally speaking, I think that the average American thinks that he or she is basically good in the core of his or her being. Thus, the four spiritual laws start out: "You are a sinner." (Although that is, more and more, being brushed over... and it is just left at "Jesus loves you"--but then who needs Jesus? Who needs a Savior if I'm not bad?").

Here, in Honduras, I've been told that the people know they are sinners. It is a largely Catholic country, and although there are some strains of Pelagianism in the Catholic Church which denies original sin, there is, I venture to say, that general concept of sin. How deeply it pervades your soul (only a stain, no original sin, or total depravity) and how it is taken care of (a simple penance, good works, confession, radical dependence on God's grace, etc.) is another thing.

Also, secularism is swiftly creeping up on the country, coupled with materialism and globalization. In a world of poverty and violence and a neighbor of the United States flaunting its wealth, it is incredibly seductive to pursue material goods….and put the spiritual off for later.

And as a few of my Honduran friends have told me, the people know they are sinners but just don't want to change their vices—their drinking, etc.

In a more amusing train of thought, I have taken a number of buses where someone gets up and just starts pounding the bible and sharing the gospel. Or, they get up and shout acclaims for some miracle lotion. Or they sell fried plantains. Your choice--Jesus, miracle cream, or fried plantains--all offered for sale at the top of your voice on the bus, while you are sitting (if you are lucky and there is room to sit) on the bus...

The Pentecostals are noted for their evangelism—and the volume of it. Here in the Seminary we could hear a loudspeaker shouting for anyone who cared to be cured of cancer, etc. to come to Jesus.

A few differences I'm learning. And it makes me think--how does my culture evangelize? How do I evangelize? How would Jesus evangelize today? How do I view my Pastor? How does the Bible say we should view our pastors? How do the churches in America view their pastors?

The apostle Paul, in the Bible, had a perspective that has strongly impressed me. He writes:

"I am [a debtor] both to Greeks and non-Greeks, both to the wise and the foolish" (Rom. 1:14).
(the Greek is ὀφειλέτης, or "debtor," "an ower, that is, a person indebted" although the NIV uses "obligated." )

"For when I preach the gospel, I cannot boast, since I am compelled to preach. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel!" (1 Cor. 9:16).

Paul was so compelled to preach, to evangelize, that he considered himself a "debtor." I can only imagine the level of love and passion that made him feel like he owed it to them! Do we think of evangelism as a DEBT we had better give to the other?


 

Comments

Popular Posts