I was talking to a friend of a friend the other day, and he said (my paraphrase), “the truth should transform us.” That was also the topic of our Sunday school today—the truth should transform us.

“But you know that when he appears, we shall be like him…No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God” (1 Jn. 3:5-9).

In context, John is not saying that we will not sin….but we have a new nature and are participants/partakers/sharers in the divine nature (2 Pet. 1:4). We have God’s life in us (Col. 3:4; Gal. 2:20; 1 Pet. 1:21-23). We have the mind of Christ (1 Cor. 2:16). We have the Spirit of Truth living in us and moving us.

I was challenged to ask myself: What is my view of truth? Do I believe the truth will transform me? Do I really believe the following verses:

“Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free” (Jn. 8:32).

“Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth” (Jn. 17:17).

And if I really believe them, do I let them touch the deepest secrets and wounds and hidden pet sins of my heart?

It has been my prayer lately that I will be a woman of truth…and I don’t think that these two conversations yesterday and today were by mistake, but part of the answer to that prayer, part of God’s revealing a little bit more of himself. Today, I prayed that truth would shine in my inmost parts, that it would touch those lies about God that I can still cherish based on my past experiences that have been capitalized on by Satan.

God is truth, but our enemy likes nothing better than to slur the character of God and to distort our perception of Him. Look at Eve. A.W. Tozer said, “What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us.” Similarly, D. Martin Lloyd-Jones states, “It is a failure in some shape or form to realize what He is that accounts for all our troubles.”

How do I really see God? I know that often I can KNOW something about God, but not really BELIEVE it. If he is what my whole faith, my whole worldview, what my whole world stands upon—I want to see the Truth. I want to know him who is Truth in a deeper, truer way. Will I let the Truth shine His light into the false ideas of God I harbor? Into the image of a god I have created in my own image?

I want, above all, to KNOW God. To let Him be the TRUE and LIVING GOD of my life.



Comments

Popular Posts