Bearing


I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now.Jn. 16:12 

So also you have sorrow now, but I will see you again, and your hearts will rejoice, and no one will take your joy from you. Jn. 16:22


Jesus knew his disciples were confused, burdened, grieving, and would only be more grieved and confused in the upcoming days when he spoke John 14-17. He knew what they could and could not bear to hear at that time, as well as what they needed in order to persevere. He had compassion for their finitude and confusion and weakness (Ps. 103 as well). No matter how we are doing, he bears with us and our weaknesses. Like my laid-up friend in depression upstairs, my friend who recieved news of cancer, another crippled with rheumatoid arthristis, three families dealing with heartbreaking Child Protective Service interventions, my own struggles... Jesus knows our griefs. Knows what we can bear. He does not speak in impatience, but knows "you cannot bear them now." 

Yet, he knows not only what we cannot bear, but what we need. Himself. Not answers. Not maps. Not relief, as much as we would like that. He did not leave his discples (or us!). He gave his Spirit to help them, not leaving them as orphans. He pointed them beyond to the eternal hope (Jn. 14:1; 17:3). He himself is our high priest who knows our weaknesses so he can effectively intercede for us. He himself prays for our protection and that our faith stands firm (Luke 22; Rom. 8:34; Heb. 7:25). 

He knows our finitude--when the body is broken, when faith is faint, hope is hard. He knows what we can bear, and he has compassion on us. 
 
But now I am coming to you, and these things I speak in the world, that they may have my joy fulfilled in themselves. Jn. 17:13

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. Jn. 14:27

In our sorrow and confusion about the things we do not understand, the mysterious ways of God, the inexpicable, ineffable suffering in the world, Jesus continues. He speaks about joy and peace that we, on this side of the cross, now have. Now have. What does that mean? Really? Peace and joy, now? In my confusion and grief? What a mix of emotions present in this passage! Yes, I have these now, because in the very face of our weakness, our doubt, grief, confusion, Jesus speaks incredible, earth-shaking, eschatological-bringing, new covenant words: You are in Christ, who is in the Father—and the Father loves you with the same love that he loves Christ (Jn. 17). What is that love? Perfect. He sees you as he sees Christ; he delights in you as he delights in Christ (Eph. 1:4-6; Jn. 15, 17). You are loved perfectly. 

 I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me. Jn. 17:23


He will tend his flock like a shepherd;
    he will gather the lambs in his arms;
he will carry them in his bosom,
    and gently lead those that are with young.

Isa. 40:11 

Jesus, the Good Shepherd (John 10), bears us close to his bosom. Rest against his heart. Hear it beating--the heart that ceased beating for you, now beating with resurrection power, beating in love and life for you. Rest. Listen to its beating. And he bears you.

Comments

Popular Posts