Prayer in Suffering

Lord,
Let me drink deep of suffering and learn all you have for me from it. May steadfastness have its full effect, that I may be mature and complete, lacking in nothing (James 1:3-4).

May I see your hand, be brought to the place to know that it was good for me to be afflicted (Ps. 119:71) because I learned to rely not on myself but on you who raises the dead (2 Cor. 1:8) and shared in your sufferings (Phil. 3:9)--that I communed with you and had fellowship with you. May I know the sweetness of your presence. May I know the sweetness of receiving and dependence.

Lord, I cry out for wisdom! May I be faithful and steward my pain, so that just as you comfort me in my afflictions I may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort with which I have received from you (2 Cor. 1:4). Even as you are with me in my suffering, and in my affliction you are afflicted (Isa. 63:9), I can be with others (Heb. 13:3; 1 Cor. 12:26) when you, the God of all grace, who has called me to your eternal glory in Christ, will yourself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish me (1 Peter 5:10) I can feed your sheep (John 21:17). 

May you restore and revive my weary soul--it needs restoration and revivification (Ps. 23). You do a new thing; you alone can give joy (Ps. 51; 1 Thes. 1:6-7). May you yourself, with your hand, touch me in a personal way and direct my heart into God's love and Christ's perseverance, keep my eyes focused on the joy, yes, joy set before me, for my heart and footsteps flag (2 Thes. 3:5; Heb. 12:1-3). 

I have died in so many ways, but you have not abandoned me, you have not abandoned the purposes you have for me (Ps. 138:8; Eph. 2:10; Phil. 1:6). You are still for me. For me! Working for me and my good for your name's sake (Ps. 23; Isa. 64:4). Out of the generous abundance, you are my Great Benefactor, my Lover, my King, my Generous Giver. May I see that, know it, taste it even when my throat is parched. I cry out for you in a thirsty land, but you are the living water (Ps. 42: Jn. 4 and 7).

I call, shout, clamor against a broken, beating heart--may your glory shine! May I treasure you above all. May you be declared more valuable than health and comfort. May I find fullness of life in your presence and delights at your right hand even now (Ps. 16).  May your presence go with me, give me rest and may I see your glory (Ex. 33:14-18). This alone can quench the thirst, for I am made for you.

In the name of the beloved, in who I am in and loved with the same love, in the name of the beloved Jesus Christ, and with the intercession of the Spirit, Amen. Amen. So be it. So it is.

Comments

Popular Posts