My Cry, My God

In my distress I called upon the LORD; to my God I cried for help... Ps. 18:6a

Part of what we call our identity is defined by others--roles, relationships, and who we turn to. As Brad Hambrick (2011) points out,a student turns to his teacher, a child to his parent, an employee to his employer.... We are defined in part by who we turn to.

I am one who calls upon my God. MY God. For in him I live and move and have my being. I am his child, his daughter, his creation, his apple of his eye, his delight, his chosen, his servant, his handmaiden, his bride, his sheep, his forgiven, his saint, his struggler, his weak one. All I am is his. His.

If I turn first to my parents, I am saying I am first the daughter of my parents. If I turn first to a friend for counsel, I am saying I am first a friend.

I am one who calls upon my Lord.

Why? Because I know all of what he has done for me. I know he has claimed me. I know what he gives me. I know my dependence on him. I know my delight in him. I trust him, obey him, serve him, glorify him.

I do so because Christ was the one who called upon God first and foremost and always. From before time, he was the Word and was with God. "In the days of his flesh, Jesus offered up prayers and supplications, with loud cries and tears, to him who was able tos save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverence. Although he was a son, he learned obedience through what he suffered. And being made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation to all who obey him..." (Heb. 5:7-8). Christ who called upon God first even in his darkest hour. The man Jesus' identity was in part formed by this--he was the one who called upon His God.

So, too, in him, this is my identity. I follow Christ, I am in Christ--I call upon my God even in my distress and with joy and amazement. I am one who calls upon my God. My God, my God, why....My GOD! MY God!!!!

Hambrick, Brad. 2011. Summit Counseling Training. Brad Hambrick: A Blog from a Counselor for the Church. http://www.bradhambrick.com/coretraining/ (accessed June 1, 2013).

Comments

Popular Posts